Know How Dark Chocolate Benefits Your Sex Life
In today’s time of fast-paced life, stress and anxiety take a toll on our minds and physical well-being. The control has reached to the extent that it now influences one’s sex life as well which in turn projects a drastic effect on mental well-being.
Speaking of sexual life and its problems, a lowered sex drive among both men and women is a growing concern that is often dealt with, by therapists while they listen to their patients. Most women these days end up faking orgasm, while one-fifth of the global male population face issues with their libido level, which impacts their relationships.
Luckily, there are several ways to increase the sex drive. Many researchers have come up with certain foods that have properties that help to increase blood levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter involved in libido and sexual function.
The Dark Chocolate and Fantasy of Sex!
Dark chocolate is one food item that is excellent for overall sexual health as it increases dopamine levels, which is the chemical affecting the pleasure centres in the brain. It has been linked to the release of serotonin, a hormone that is known to stimulate feelings of happiness and satisfaction, which in turn can increase your libido to a considerable extent. Let us understand in detail.
- Chocolate is supposed to contain euphoric substances that are commonly referred to as phenylethylamine and serotonin, which are mild aphrodisiacs and mood boosters.
- Dark chocolate is also rich in antioxidants and high in caffeine, two ingredients that can increase blood flow and stimulate sex drive.
- Cocoa and dark chocolate have more antioxidant, polyphenol, and flavanol activity than any other fruit, including blueberries and acai berries; and are supposed to improve blood flow.
- The flavanols in dark chocolate can stimulate the endothelium, the lining of the arteries, to produce nitric oxide (NO). One of the functions of NO is to send signals to the arteries to relax, reducing the resistance of the lumen to blood flow and thus lowering blood pressure, thus helping in penile erection.
- Eating chocolate increases libido by promoting the release of chemicals like phenethylamine and serotonin into your body. This can produce a number of effects including aphrodisiac and improved mood.
Since chocolate helps in controlling hypertension, which can majorly affect your sex drive and erectile dysfunction, one can safely say that dark chocolate is the aphrodisiac that you might need for your sex life.
For ages, chocolate in general, and dark chocolate in particular; has been a symbol of lust, not only because of its delicious taste but also because of its ability to improve sexual pleasure. So eating dark chocolate before sex is a popular advice that many people pass on.
Multiple controlled studies show that cocoa and dark chocolate can improve blood flow in human bodies. It also helps in reducing blood pressure, which eventually also helps in getting the desired penile erection.
- According to research published in the Journal of Proteome, having about 40g of dark chocolate every day for about 14 days can reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol in our bodies.
- According to another 2006 study, the effects of chocolate on sex may be more psychological than biological.
Of course, some other lifestyle factors such as maintaining a balanced diet coupled with regular exercise, are required to be followed strictly, and dark chocolate is no substitute for that and medical supervision by authorized experts.