Everything about Dapoxetine Interactions with other Drugs
Millions of men across the world suffer from various sexual problems, and premature ejaculation is definitely one of the most commonly faced sexual problems. Although not all men are courageous enough to openly talk about their symptoms, there are solutions to such problems in form of some brilliant pharmaceutical drugs, like Dapoxetine.
However, one should avoid Dapoxetine if he or she is allergic to any of its contents. There are also some other occasions when this medication can do interactions that might go severely wrong for men and hence such interactions should be avoided. In this article, we would find out about various drug interactions with Dapoxetine, along with its interactions with certain medical conditions and foods; that we need to avoid.
Basics of Dapoxetine
Dapoxetine is a major pharmaceutical salt, falling under the class of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).
A Dapoxetine tablet is used in the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE), a medical condition where a man ejaculates too early in intercourse. This medicine helps in increasing the time taken to ejaculate, thereby offering better control over ejaculation.
Drug Interactions with Dapoxetine: Pharmaceutical Drugs to Avoid taking with Dapoxetine
- Serotoninergic Agents
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI),
- Anti-migraine drugs,
- Anti-psychotic (lithium),
- Antibiotic (linezolid, telithromycin, erythromycin, clarithromycin),
- An amino acid (tryptophan),
- Pain killer (tramadol, ibuprofen, aspirin),
- Anti-HIV (ritonavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, atazanavir, amprenavir, fosamprenavir),
- Anti-fungal (ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole),
- Anti-depressant (nefazodone),
- Blood thinner (warfarin),
- Anti-erectile dysfunction agents (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil),
- Calcium channel blocker (diltiazem, verapamil),
- Anti-emetics (aprepitant),
- BPH agents
Dapoxetine Interactions with Diseases /certain medical conditions
Patients are advised not to take Dapoxetine tablets in case they are suffering from either of the following medical conditions:
- Cardiovascular/heart disease such as heart failure or heart rhythm problems,
- Mania or severe depression,
- Moderate to severe liver problems,
- History of fainting,
- A history of dizziness due to low blood pressure,
- Bipolar disorder,
- Bleeding or blood clotting problems,
- Kidney problems,
- Moderate to severe liver problems.
Dapoxetine Interactions with certain Food items
Do not take St. John’s wort (herbal supplement used to treat depression) while taking DAPOXETINE.
Avoid consuming grapefruit juice within 24 hours of taking DAPOXETINE as it could lead to an increase in the level of DAPOXETINE in the body.
Avoid consuming alcohol while taking DAPOXETINE as it might cause increased dizziness and sleepiness.
How to avoid these Dapoxetine interactions?
Before your doctor prescribes Dapoxetine, make sure you tell your doctor or pharmacist in case you are taking any of the above-mentioned medicines or have any of the above-mentioned medical conditions.
In case your doctor prescribes Dapoxetine with any of the above-mentioned drugs or while having any of the above-mentioned medical issues, and in case you experience any side effects like muscle twitching, tremors, shivering or stiffness, fever, heavy sweating, heart palpitations, restlessness, agitation, trouble with coordination, or severe diarrhea, call your doctor immediately and get the right medical help as soon as possible.
Your doctor may be already aware of such interactions and may be monitoring you for them. So, do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.