Everything about ED Pills: How do they Work, don't Work etc.
Most of the major pharmaceutical salts that are used as the active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) in drugs to treat the problem of Erectile Dysfunction (ED), or impotence in men (where they face the recurring issue of being unable to achieve and maintain a strong penile erection that is required for intercourse or optimum sexual pleasure), are from the category of Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE5 inhibitors). Let us understand the timeline of the mechanism of such pharmaceutical drugs.
How do ED Pills work?
Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE5 inhibitors) are a class of agents acting on phosphodiesterase enzymes. So, the ED pills based on such chemical compounds work as vasodilation drugs that primarily work to open up the blood vessels; in order to allow more blood in them. When sufficient blood reaches the blood vessels of a penis it gets erected and ready for intercourse.
How long does it take for erection pills to work?
Every ED medicine takes some time to kick in. Some of the major ED medications and their respective required time to come into effect are as follows:
- Tadalafil tablets: 30 minutes
- Avanafil tablets: at least 15 minutes
- Vardenafil tablets: 25 to 60 minutes
- Sildenafil tablets: 30 to 60 minutes
When do ED pills not work?
There are several reasons, why ED drugs might not work effectively as treatments for erectile dysfunction. These include:
- Using incorrectly
- Taking a low dose
- Using pills to treat ED that’s caused by something other than poor blood flow
- Interventions with other drugs
Some common factors that can lead to conditions affecting blood circulation include:
- Lack of daily exercise
- Smoking addiction
- Excessive mental stress
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Major Substance Abuse
What to do when ED Medicines do not work?
The very first thing one can do, when the ED medicines are not working at all, is to go back to the doctor and seek his or her guidance. The doctor might advise improving overall health and incorporating some changes in basic lifestyle habits which are essential for the ED medicines to work. For example the following changes:
- Quit smoking
- Minimize daily stress
- Manage body weight through a healthy diet and rigorous physical activities
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol intake
Alternatives to ED Pills
In addition to the above-mentioned lifestyle changes, there might be a need to change the overall treatment. As it is the oral medications are not working, may be it is time to try some other ways of ED treatment as mentioned below herein:
- Erectile dysfunction pump (penis or vacuum pump)
- Penile injections
- Surgery for an inflatable penile prosthesis
- Therapy for emotional, psychological, and relationship issues related to ED
- Suppositories (Alprostadil)
- Testosterone Hormone Replacement
- Natural treatment
- Intraurethral Therapy or Muse
- Natural Supplements or Herbal supplements
Patients should anyhow avoid self-medication or talking to laymen when it comes to erectile dysfunction. It is always best to consult only an authorized healthcare expert and get the best possible treatment for erectile problems. One should never ever neglect the symptoms of ED; as these can severely affect one’s overall wellness.