How long it takes for Dapoxetine to Work and How Long it Lasts?
What is Dapoxetine?
Dapoxetine is a major pharmaceutical salt, falling under the class of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI).
It should also be noted here that, unlike other SSRIs, Dapoxetine can be absorbed and eliminated rapidly from the body.
Priligy is one of the most popular branded pharmaceutical drugs from the house of dapoxetine, so much so that it is almost used synonymously.
How does Dapoxetine or Priligy work?
Dapoxetine works by inhibiting the serotonin transporter, increasing serotonin’s action at the postsynaptic cleft, and as a consequence promoting ejaculatory delay. Clinical trials have proven serotonin (5-HT), in the brain’s descending pathways, exerts a restraining force on ejaculation. As of now, three 5-HT receptor subtypes (5-HT(1A), 5-HT(1B), and 5-HT(2C)) have been postulated to mediate 5-HT’s modulating influence over ejaculation.
What is Dapoxetine used for?
It was primarily used as an antidepressant, but with time it has evolved as a medication for treating sexual problems in men as well.
A Dapoxetine tablet is used in treating men aged between 18 to 65 years, who are suffering from premature ejaculation (PE), a sexual problem, where a man ejaculates too early in intercourse. This medicine helps in increasing the time taken to ejaculate, thereby offering better control over ejaculation.
How long does Dapoxetine make you last?
Before getting into the duration for which Dapoxetine can help a man to last longer in bed, let us first understand a few things.
- Intravaginal Ejaculatory Latency Time (IELT) is the time taken by a man to ejaculate during vaginal penetration. IELT varies not only from man to man but from one time to the next for the same man and tends to decrease with age.
- Ejaculatory disorders like premature ejaculation or ejaculator dysfunction, painful ejaculation, painful ejaculation, hematospermia, etc, are a few common sexual problems in men.
- Dapoxetine, a short-acting SSRI, is the first drug to be marketed for premature ejaculation.
Now coming to the question of how long does Dapoxetine make you last?
- After the oral administration of a 30mg or 60 mg Dapoxetine tablet, the peak plasma concentrations of dapoxetine are reached after an hour.
- It is most effective between 1 hour to 3 hours after it is consumed, but sometimes its effects may actually last up to even 12 hours.
- Dapoxetine is rapidly eliminated; its initial half-life is approximately 1.4 hours for both doses, compared with 21 hours to 4 days for other SSRIs.
- Dapoxetine has a terminal half-life of 18.7 hours for the 30 mg dose and 21.9 hours for the 60 mg dose.
- Even after multiple dosing, the pharmacokinetics of dapoxetine remains unchanged and does accumulate significantly.
Drug Interactions: Pharmaceutical Drugs that react adversely with Dapoxetine
- Serotoninergic Agents
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)
- Medications with lithium
- Anti-migraine drugs
- Anti-psychotic drug (lithium)
- Antibiotics (linezolid, telithromycin, erythromycin, clarithromycin)
- An amino acid (tryptophan)
- Pain killer (tramadol, ibuprofen, aspirin)
- Anti-HIV (ritonavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, atazanavir, amprenavir, fosamprenavir)
- Anti-fungal (ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole)
- Anti-depressant (nefazodone)
- Blood thinner (warfarin)
- Anti-erectile dysfunction agents (sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil)
- Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, verapamil)
- Anti-emetics (aprepitant)
- BPH agents