Main Causes of Erectile Dysfunction Explained
ED Erectile Dysfunction is a condition of male impotence where a man is unable to attain a firm erection during sexual intercourse. The male with ED finds it very difficult to get a firm erection in desired time. The cause of erectile dysfunction can vary; it might be due to some health condition or physical stress. The treatment of erectile dysfunction totally depends on treating the underlying cause of erectile dysfunction.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction or Impotence are:
Cause of erectile dysfunction can be different for different individuals. Here are some facts that explain the cause of ed or cause of weak erection:
The mechanism of the male sexual process involves the brain, hormones, nerves, muscles, emotions, and blood vessels. Any disturbances or problems in the functioning of these might aggravate the cause of erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is caused or aggravated by stress and mental health difficulties.
In males, a combination of physical and psychological factors can result in a weak erection and erectile dysfunction. A minor medical condition that impairs your sexual response may cause you to be concerned about maintaining an erection. The fear that the results would induce or worsen erectile dysfunction.
In many situations, erectile dysfunction is caused by a physical problem. The physical cause of erectile dysfunction are as follows:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Blood vessel occlusion (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol levels
- Blood pressure is high.
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease (PD)
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Certain prescribed drugs
- Excessive Tobacco consumption
- Peyronie’s disease
- Alcoholism and other types of drug misuse
- Sleep problems
- Prostate cancer and enlarged prostate treatments
- Surgeries or injuries that damage the pelvic region or spinal cord
- Low testosterone levels
Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Beginning with feelings of sexual excitement, the brain is crucial in starting the system of physical processes that lead to an erection. Numerous variables might alter the sexual experience and cause or worsen erectile dysfunction. These are some examples of the psychological cause of erectile dysfunction:
- Other mental health issues
- Relationship problems caused due to stress
- Poor communication, or other issues
What are the Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction are as follows:
- Having difficulty obtaining an erection while having sexual intercourse.
- Having difficulty maintaining an erection or erection for a very less amount of time reflecting the cause of weak erection
- Decreased sexual drive or feeling to indulge in sexual intercourse.
How to diagnose Erectile Dysfunction and take action?
To analyze the cause of erectile dysfunction following can be done:
The doctor will perform a physical test, evaluation, and analyze the medical history of a patient to diagnose the cause of erectile dysfunction and then allocate the treatment plan for the patient. If the doctor suspects that the cause of erectile dysfunction is due to chronic medical conditions then he may suggest you to take more testing or a consultation with a specialist. Additional tests that the doctor may recommend are:
- Medical tests: Physical medical tests may be taken to know the cause of erectile dysfunction, it includes a comprehensive examination of male reproductive parts (penis and testicles) it includes a nerve sensitivity test.
- Blood tests: To examine for heart disease, diabetes, low testosterone levels, and other major health issues, a blood sample will be collected.
- Urine tests (urinalysis): Urine tests can be done to diagnose diabetes and other health-related problems.
- Ultrasound test: A medical practitioner will do this test where a transducer (wand-like instrument) is held over the blood vessels that supply the penis. Your doctor can determine whether you have issues with blood flow using the video picture that is generated by the device. In order to increase blood flow and cause an erection, this test may occasionally be paired with an injection of a drug into the penis.
- Psychological assessment: In order to rule out depression and other psychological issues that might be the root of your erectile dysfunction, your doctor may ask you a series of questions.
The first thing your doctor will do is ensure you get the right therapy for any medical concerns that are causing or worsening your erectile dysfunction.
You may have a variety of therapy choices, depending on the origin, extent, and presence of your erectile dysfunction as well as any underlying medical conditions. Your doctor will go through the advantages and disadvantages of each therapy while also taking your choices into account.
ED Medications – The doctor will prescribe you medications for ED. there are many medicines available that are helpful in treating ED in men.
The most effective means of preventing erectile dysfunction is to have a healthy lifestyle and to take care of any present health issues. As an illustration: Work with your doctor to manage chronic health conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and others. You should plan routine checkups and medical screening tests with your doctor.
- Regular checkups and medical screening tests should be scheduled with your doctor.
- Stop smoking, restrict or minimise alcohol consumption, and avoid using illicit substances.
- Regular physical exercise.
- Take less tension and manage stress.
- Seek therapy if you have anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues.
Erectile can be managed with the help of doctor-prescribed medication, lifestyle changes, and exercises.
Regular, less severe exercise may lessen the risk of erectile dysfunction. Increasing your level of exercise may also help to lower your risk. Ask your doctor about the exercise schedules that might benefit in treating erectile dysfunction.
You should see a psychologist or counsellor for your mental well-being if your doctor believes that stress, anxiety, or depression is the root cause of your erectile dysfunction or if the condition is making your relationships stressful.