Erectile Dysfunction at Age 50: Causes & Treatment Options
ED or Erectile Dysfunction or male Impotence is characterised by difficulty in obtaining and maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse. According to researches and studies, more than half of men between the ages of 40 and 70 deal with ED in some capacity. So, its okay to be in that phase but also make yourself understand about the causes, and treatment options.
Keep reading to know in depth about Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s
How common is Erectile Dysfunction in 50s
Erectile dysfunction (the inability to obtain or maintain a hard enough erection for sexual intercourse) is rather common in men in their 50s, with a 50% likelihood that they have had it. Atherosclerosis, where blood flow to the penis gets blocked or restricted due to hardened arteries, is one of the most frequent reasons of Erectile Dysfunction in men over 50.
Erectile dysfunction can also be caused by or contribute to psychological conditions like stress, depression, and interpersonal difficulties. Erectile Dysfunction in 50s can be managed or even cured with the help of lifestyle modifications, counselling, and/or medical care (doctor prescribed ED medications).
Signs and Symptoms of erectile dysfunction in your 50s
It gets very difficult sometimes to get or maintain an erection from time to time. But if it continuously persists and you experience the following symptoms, you could be affected from erectile dysfunction in your 50s:
- Not being able to get erection when desired
- Having a difficult time getting erection
- Finding it challenging to maintain erection for longer
- Losing your erection very soon
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s
Erectile Dysfunction in 50s can be caused due to physical, psychological, and lifestyle reasons
Some physical Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s are:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Cardiovascular problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- Medicinal side effects
- Prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Lowering testosterone levels
Other physical causes of erectile dysfunction related to blood flow are:
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s are:
Your erection issues are more likely to be psychological in nature if they only occur sometimes. For instance, when masturbating but not when engaging in sexual activity with another person, you experience an erection.
Erectile Dysfunction in men over 50 has a number of psychosocial factors, including:
- Relationship breakdown
Stress – ED may result from stress. Being in your fifties can frequently lead to increased stress brought on by things like:
- Having issues in your relationships, such as disagreements, splits, divorce, or infidelity.
- Attempting to conceive: having trouble conceiving, adopting a kid, or using fertility treatments.
- Adapting living circumstances: Relocating, remortgaging a house, or moving
- Observing physical changes in your body, such as more wrinkles, thinner hair, weight gain, more grey hairs, or a decline in libido
- Concerned about your family: assuming responsibility for your spouse and kids or looking after your elderly folks
- Workplace pressures include being fired, vying for promotions, or feeling dissatisfied with your career.
- Finance-related concerns: Financial strain or debt resulting from borrowing money or taking out loans
- Feelings of loneliness: after losing connection with friends or after becoming an empty nester after your children have left the house.
- A “mid-life crisis” is when you are unsatisfied with some aspects of your life, such as your profession, love, or health, and you believe that there isn’t much time left to accomplish your goals.
Relationship difficulties or dissolution
Middle-aged divorces are becoming more prevalent. When relationships end, self-esteem can suffer, which can disturb your mental peace and also affect your erections.
Anxiety and depression
The men faces comparatively more stress and tensions especially in their 50s which may eventually lead to increase in levels of anxiety and depression.
Both depression and anxiety are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s. It can become a vicious cycle.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s due to lifestyle factors
A few lifestyle factors that Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s include:
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Using tobacco
- Wrong sleeping patterns
- Drinking coffee in larger quantity
- Not doing physical activity
- Fast or junk food
How to fix Erectile Dysfunction at 50
In order to fix Erectile Dysfunction at 50 follow the following:
Treat all underlying health issues: In order to fix ED, first treat the underlying health conditions, it can be helpful in in managing erectile dysfunction. Conditions that can be the causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s are heart disease, high blood pressure, or any other health conditions. Managing and treating these may be helpful to fix ED. If you’re concerned that an undiagnosed health condition could be the root of your ED, make sure to discuss this with your healthcare provider.
Maintain a healthy weight: In case you are overweight or obese, you have a higher chance of getting ED, it is one of the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s. Men with a BMI in the obese range are three times more likely to experience sexual dysfunction than men with a BMI in the healthy range, according to research.
Try to reduce weight if you are overweight or obese. You may track your weight reduction and see how reducing weight will help in treatment process of ED.
Maintain an active lifestyle: According to research, men who regularly exercise, especially aerobic exercise, may benefit from erectile dysfunction brought on by cardiovascular health problems.
There’s no need to do rigorous exercise just make sure to perform exercise at least 15 to 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise of a moderate intensity each day, such as cycling, running, or walking.
Quit alcohol: excessive alcohol intake can be one of the major causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s.
According to one study, your likelihood of having sexual dysfunction is also accurately predicted by the overall amount of alcohol you consume.
Stop smoking: According to research, using other tobacco products or smoking cigarettes increases your risk of acquiring ED. Smoking damages your vascular system and may interfere with blood flow throughout your body, which is why smoking has become common Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s.
Adopting these behaviors may enhance your sexual performance and help in getting desired erections.
Top Medicines that helps to cure ED:
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction in 50s can be due to several reasons. Just take the doctor prescribed medications, perform exercise, good balanced diet, and choose a healthy way of living life. All this will aid in treating and managing ED.